Early settlers first arrived in this area in 1847 because of the numerous springs and fertile soil. Through the Peters Colony, many more families arrived in 1848-1850 and helped establish Ellis County.
Several local men were elected to county offices in 1850. The earliest village in the vicinity was called Lebanon. The name Barkersville was used briefly because Rev. Charles Barker’s home served as the first post office. The first railroad, Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe, came through in 1883, and the Houston & Texas Central arrived in 1886, leading to Midlothian’s incorporation in 1888. Many surrounding country villages became engulfed by Midlothian, such as Mt. Zion, Christian Chapel, Auger Hole, Onward, Walnut Grove, Long Branch, and Mountain Peak. Cotton was the chief crop grown in Ellis County for many years.
World War II pulled Midlothian out of the depression, along with the rest of the country. Many returning servicemen chose to commute to Fort Worth or Dallas to do other things besides farming.
Nowadays Midlothian is home to three cement plants that use the abundant limestone in cement production.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR(S)
Karen Kay Esberger is a native of Midlothian who helped establish the Midlothian Area Historical Society in 2007, serving as historian. She is a charter member of the Ellis County Genealogical Society and serves on the Ellis County Historical Commission. As vice president of the Kay Family Association (over 700 members), centered on her fifth great-grandfather who lived in South Carolina, Karen and the other officers have published five books on his ancestors and descendants. She has also published a book on her mother’s family, The Dukes of Grenada, and authored numerous articles for genealogical and historical publications.